Welcome to our comprehensive guide on how to prepare for the International Medical Admissions Test (IMAT), written by Ari Horesh, a medical student at the University of Pavia and founder of EnterMedSchool. I am truly excited to provide you with the best possible advice and guidance to help you succeed on this highly competitive exam.
As a medical student myself, I know firsthand the challenges and struggles that come with studying for exams such as the IMAT. However, I also know the importance of a good study plan, quality study materials, and practice in achieving success on these exams.
That's why I've written this comprehensive guide to help you prepare for the IMAT. In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about the exam, from its format to how to prepare effectively for it. You'll find helpful tips and strategies that will give you an edge in your studies and increase your chances of success.
Our guide will take you through each step of the preparation process, including how to understand the exam format, develop a study plan, use quality study materials, practice effectively, and seek help when needed. I'll also provide you with some tools that will make the process even easier to understand.
I understand that the IMAT is a crucial step for any student who wants to study medicine in Italy, and I want to help you achieve your goal of being accepted into the program of your choice. So, take the time to read through our guide and implement the tips and strategies we've outlined. With the right approach and dedication, you can achieve success on the IMAT and take the first step towards your dream of becoming a doctor.
What is the IMAT?
The International Medical Admissions Test (IMAT) is an entrance exam that is required for students who wish to pursue a degree in medicine at Italian universities. The exam is administered by the Italian Ministry of Education, University, and Research (MIUR) and is used to evaluate the knowledge and skills of candidates who are seeking admission to medical programs in Italy and study medicine in the English language.
The IMAT consists of 60 multiple-choice questions that cover various subjects, including critical thinking, problem solving, general knowledge, biology, chemistry, physics, and math. The questions are designed to assess the candidates' critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as their understanding of the scientific principles that underlie the practice of medicine.
The IMAT is a highly competitive exam, and admission to Italian medical schools is based on a combination of the candidate's exam score and their academic record. The weight given to each of these factors varies from university to university.
The IMAT has traditionally been offered once a year, in September, since 2011. However, starting from the 2023 exam, it is expected that a different company than the original one (Cambridge Assessments) will write the exam. The exam is available in testing centers around the world, and students who wish to take the exam must register in advance and pay a fee. The registration period typically opens in July and closes in August.
It is important to remember that the exam date and the registration period may change slightly from year to year, so it is essential to check the official EnterMedSchool website for up-to-date information. It is also recommended that you prepare your documents as soon as possible to ensure that you secure a spot in your preferred testing center.
If you are an international student, you may need to obtain a student visa to study in Italy. You should also check the visa requirements for your home country and plan accordingly to ensure that you have enough time to obtain the necessary documents before your exam date.
Preparing for the IMAT can be a challenging and time-consuming process. However, with the right approach and dedication, you can increase your chances of success on this critical exam. In the next sections, I will provide you with a step-by-step guide on preparing for the IMAT and improving your chances of achieving a high score, and suggest plenty of free study materials and YouTube channels you can use today.
How to Prepare for the IMAT
To succeed on the International Medical Admissions Test (IMAT), you need to have a solid understanding of the exam format and difficulty. The IMAT is a highly competitive exam that can be overwhelming and challenging to prepare for. Therefore, it's essential to have a clear understanding of what the exam entails, how it is structured, and what to expect on test day.
In this section, I'll take a closer look at the IMAT exam format and difficulty, including its structure, content, and the skills and knowledge it assesses. I'll also provide you with tips and strategies for how to prepare effectively for the exam, such as the importance of having a study planner or coach, the benefits of AI tools in studying, and how to find and utilize quality study materials.
By the end of this section, you'll have a better understanding of what the IMAT exam involves and how to prepare for it effectively. You'll be able to develop a study plan that is tailored to your unique needs and learning style, which will help you make the most of your study time and improve your chances of success on the IMAT.
Understand the IMAT Exam Format and Difficulty
It is important to remember that while the IMAT exam is highly competitive, it's not necessarily because of its difficulty level, but rather due to the number of candidates and the limited seats available in medical programs. Therefore, it is crucial to have a study planner or coach who can guide you on the highest yield concepts and chapters for the exam, to prevent over-studying and wasting time on lower yield material.
The IMAT exam is known for its tricky questions that require a lot of critical thinking and logic. It's not enough to just know the material, but also to know how to apply it in different scenarios on the exam itself, where the exam writers know how to trap students and asking the questions from "weird" directions.
As an IMAT exam taker myself, I understand how overwhelming and challenging preparing for this exam can be. To help students succeed, I offer multiple free courses and study resources for the IMAT exam on my main website, EnterMedSchool.com. These resources cover all the relevant topics and are designed to help students build a solid foundation of knowledge and skills necessary for the exam.
In addition to quality study materials, having a community around you is one of the most important parts of the preparation process. Joining a study group or seeking the assistance of a tutor can be incredibly helpful. That's why I've created a community for people to join and ask questions about the exam and their process. The community provides a space for students to connect, ask questions, and receive support from peers who are also preparing for the IMAT.
IMAT 2023 Study Planner
When preparing for the IMAT exam, it's essential to have a structured study plan that covers all the necessary topics and materials. One of the most effective ways to prepare for the exam is by using the recommended study materials, such as Pearson's books. These books provide a comprehensive overview of the various subjects covered on the IMAT, including biology, chemistry, physics, and math.
In addition to using quality study materials, having a study plan that is tailored to your specific needs and learning style is essential. That's why I've created a free IMAT study planner on my main website since 2020. The study planner offers a day-by-day guide that covers everything from biology and chemistry, with specific books and pages to study each day. The planner has been modified and updated based on feedback from my students and now encompasses every single thing that will most likely appear on the exam.
IMAT Exam - Topic Breakdown and Resources
As we discussed earlier, the IMAT exam is a comprehensive assessment of a student's critical thinking, problem solving, general knowledge, biology, chemistry, math, and physics skills. To perform well on this exam, you must have a thorough understanding of all these topics and how they relate to the IMAT format and content.
In this section, we will be examining the official IMAT 2022 specifications in detail. Since it is unlikely that there will be significant changes to the syllabus for IMAT 2023, we will break down each section of the exam and discuss the highest-yield subjects, the likelihood of their appearance on the exam, and the IMAT resources available online that can be used to cover them.
By the end of this section, you will have a better understanding of the IMAT exam topic breakdown and how to prepare effectively for each section. You will be able to identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus on the most high-yield subjects while utilizing the available IMAT resources to maximize your chances of success on the exam.
IMAT Logical Reasoning
"There are 7 different specific types of questions that can appear in this section of the test"
- Summarising the main conclusion (High Probability)
- Drawing a conclusion (High Probability)
- Identifying an assumption (High Probability)
- Assessing the impact of additional evidence (Lower Probability)
- Detecting reasoning errors (Lower Probability)
- Identifying parallel reasoning (Lowest Probability)
- Applying principles (Lowest Probability)
The logical reasoning section of the IMAT exam is an essential component that requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytic skills. As mentioned earlier, there are seven specific types of questions that can appear in this section of the exam. These include summarizing the main conclusion, drawing a conclusion, identifying an assumption, assessing the impact of additional evidence, detecting reasoning errors, identifying parallel reasoning, and applying principles.
To perform well in this section, it is essential to practice as many logical reasoning questions as possible from past papers and other exams such as BMAT Section 1 and past Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) papers.
Based on past papers, it is evident that some types of logical reasoning questions are more likely to appear than others. According to the official IMAT syllabus, summarizing the main conclusion, drawing a conclusion, and identifying an assumption are the most likely types of questions to appear on the exam. Assessing the impact of additional evidence and detecting reasoning errors are less likely to appear, while identifying parallel reasoning and applying principles are the least likely.
In addition to logical reasoning, the IMAT exam also assesses problem-solving skills, which requires knowledge of basic math, statistics, and logical thinking. Students are encouraged to practice basic math and statistics and solve SAT logic questions and online IQ tests to work on spatial and pattern recognition, which are the most common types of problem-solving questions on the exam based on past papers.
Recommended Resources for the Logic Section
To prepare effectively for the logical reasoning section of the IMAT exam, it is essential to utilize quality study materials and resources that cover the various types of questions that can appear on the exam. Here are some recommended resources that you can use to prepare effectively for the logic section of the IMAT exam:
- A Concise Introduction to Logic - 11th Edition: This book is an excellent resource for developing your logical reasoning skills. It covers the fundamentals of logic and provides clear explanations and examples of how to solve various types of logical reasoning questions. This book is particularly useful for students who are new to logic and need a solid foundation to build on.
- TSA past papers: The Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) is another exam that assesses critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Practicing TSA past papers can help you develop your logical reasoning skills and prepare for the types of questions that may appear on the IMAT exam.
- BMAT Section 1 past papers: The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is another exam that assesses critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Practicing BMAT Section 1 past papers can help you develop your logical reasoning skills and prepare for the types of questions that may appear on the IMAT exam.
- IMAT past papers: Solving IMAT past papers is an essential part of the preparation process. It allows you to familiarize yourself with the exam format and content and helps you develop the skills you need to succeed on the exam. Try to solve past papers as part of simulators you will take closer to the exam date, so you can simulate exam-day conditions and improve your time management skills.
IMAT General Knowledge Topics and Breakdown
The general knowledge section of the IMAT exam is an assessment of a student's overall knowledge of current events, culture, history, and other general topics. As the name suggests, this section is general and not specific to any particular field, making it difficult and low yield to study for this section.
While it is challenging to predict the types of questions that may appear in the general knowledge section of the IMAT exam, some topics are more likely to appear than others. These topics include science Nobel prizes, famous European authors, art/artists and history, and the important world organization names (such as "NATO" and its members, "WHO" ,etc.).
However, in my experience, the general knowledge section is not a high-yield area to study for the exam. The questions in this section are relatively low in number, and they are often based on information that most students have learned at some point in their education.
For this reason, I never recommend that my students focus too much on practicing for general knowledge questions. Instead, I encourage them to focus on the other sections of the exam that require more in-depth knowledge and a higher level of critical thinking. With only 100 minutes to complete the exam and 60-70% of the questions typically solvable within that timeframe, it is essential to prioritize the most high-yield sections of the exam during your preparation.
IMAT Biology Topic List and Recommended Resources
The biology section of the IMAT exam assesses a student's knowledge of the fundamental principles of biology and how they apply to living organisms. Here's a breakdown of the topics covered in the official IMAT syllabus for biology, along with the best resources to study each one:
The chemistry of living things
- Weak interactions and organic molecules: Crash Course Chemistry, Khan Academy
- Enzymes: AK Lectures, Bozeman Science
The cell as the basis of life
- Cell theory and cell size: Amoeba Sisters, Khan Academy
- Prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells: Professor Dave Explains, Crash Course Biology
- Cell structures and functions: AK Lectures, Khan Academy
- Cell cycle and cell division: Bozeman Science, Khan Academy
- ATP: Professor Dave Explains, Khan Academy
- Redox reactions: Bozeman Science, Khan Academy
- Photosynthesis: Bozeman Science, Crash Course Biology
- Cellular respiration: Bozeman Science, Crash Course Biology
Reproduction and Inheritance
- Life cycles: Crash Course Biology, Amoeba Sisters
- Mendelian genetics: Khan Academy, Bozeman Science
- Chromosomal theory of inheritance: AK Lectures, Khan Academy
- Molecular genetics: AK Lectures, Khan Academy
- Genes and gene expression: Bozeman Science, Khan Academy
- Human genetics: Khan Academy, Bozeman Science
- Recombinant DNA technology: AK Lectures, Crash Course Biology
- Applications of biotechnology: Khan Academy, Bozeman Science
Inheritance and environment
- Mutations and natural selection: Bozeman Science, Khan Academy
- Evolutionary theories: Bozeman Science, Crash Course Biology
- Genetic basis of evolution: Bozeman Science, Khan Academy
Anatomy and physiology of animals and humans
- Animal tissues: Amoeba Sisters, Crash Course Biology
- Anatomy and physiology of systems in humans: AK Lectures, Crash Course Biology
- Homeostasis: AK Lectures, Khan Academy
While it is difficult to predict which specific topics will appear on the IMAT exam, it is highly likely that the questions related to cell biology and reproduction will appear. Additionally, at least one or two questions from biochemistry and one from evolution are expected to appear.
To prepare effectively for the biology section of the IMAT exam, I recommend using a combination of online resources such as YouTube channels and free websites, as well as textbooks and practice questions. Practice tests and simulators are also useful for developing your skills and gaining familiarity with the exam format.
IMAT Chemistry Topic List and Recommended Resources
Chemistry is an essential part of the IMAT exam, and it is important to have a good understanding of its concepts to succeed. Unlike biology, chemistry requires practice and application, not just memorization. To excel in this section, it is recommended to practice as many questions as possible and have a good grasp of the fundamentals.
In this section, we will analyze the official IMAT 2022 syllabus for chemistry and break it down into its core concepts. We will also suggest some online resources, such as YouTube channels and websites, to help you study for this section effectively. By the end of this section, you should have a solid understanding of what to expect from the chemistry section of the IMAT exam, and be well-prepared to tackle any questions that come your way.
The composition of matter
- The ideal gas laws are a must-know for this section.
- Khan Academy provides good videos that explain the concept in-depth, as well as grat summaries about this topic.
- The electronic structure of atoms is important for this section
- The YouTube channel "Crash Course Chemistry" is a good resource to use for this topic, they provide very good visuals to understand this quite abstract topic.
The periodic table of the elements
- It is important to understand the relationships between electronic structure, position in the periodic table, and element properties.
- Chemguide.co.uk is a free online resource with great explanations on this topic.
The chemical bond
- Polarity of bonds and intermolecular bonds are often asked about on the IMAT exam.
- The website Chemguide.co.uk has excellent resources to study this topic.
Fundamentals of inorganic chemistry
- Nomenclature and properties of inorganic compounds such as oxides, hydroxides, acids, and salts should be studied.
- Khan Academy offers videos and practice exercises for inorganic chemistry topics.
Chemical reactions and stoichiometry
- Stoichiometric calculations, balancing reactions, and types of chemical reactions are important, as well as theoretical and actual yields, and ideal gasses.
- The YouTube channel "Tyler DeWitt" provides clear explanations and even practice problems.
- The solvent properties of water, solubility, and ways of expressing concentration of solutions should be understood for the exam, as well as reading graphs of changing molarity and the effects of temperature on a solution.
- The website "Chemistry LibreTexts" has a great resource on this topic, as well as the YouTube channel "Tyler DeWitt", and the "Organic Chemistry Tutor" (He has many long lessons which are definetely worth watching and practicing from)
Oxidation and reduction
- Understanding oxidation numbers and balancing reactions is essential for the IMAT exam, as well as basic redox reaction you can solve in 45-60 seconds.
- The YouTube channel "Crash Course Chemistry" has a great video on this topic, and then the "Organic Chemistry Tutor" will provide you with countless practice problems to solve.
Acids and bases
- Understanding the concept of acid and base, as well as pH scale and buffer solutions, is important. It is also an important topic in Biochemistry, and sometimes these chapters overlap on the IMAT exam.
- The website "Chemistry LibreTexts" offers a comprehensive guide on acids and bases as well as practice questions.
Fundamentals of organic chemistry
- Aliphatic, alicyclic and aromatic hydrocarbons and functional groups such as alcohols, ethers, amines, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters, amides, and their nomenclature should be studied. There are many questions about naming organic molecules by finding the longest carbon chain, it's a pretty common type of questions on the IMAT.
- The YouTube channel "Khan Academy Organic Chemistry" offers a comprehensive guide on this topic, as well as the "Organic Chemistry Tutor" channel which is perfect for this topic as the name suggests.
In conclusion, the IMAT Chemistry section covers a wide range of topics, and it is important to have a strong foundation in the fundamentals to succeed. While it may seem overwhelming at first, by breaking down the syllabus and using online resources to study, you can effectively prepare for this section. Remember that practice is essential for chemistry, so be sure to solve as many questions as possible and focus on understanding the concepts and their applications. With the resources and tips we've provided, you should be well-equipped to tackle any question that comes your way on the IMAT Chemistry section.
IMAT Physics Topic List and Recommended Resources
Physics is a crucial part of the IMAT exam, and it is essential to have a good understanding of its concepts to succeed. In this section, we will analyze the official IMAT 2022 syllabus for physics and break it down into its core concepts. We will also suggest some online resources, such as YouTube channels and websites, to help you study for this section effectively. By the end of this section, you should have a solid understanding of what to expect from the physics section of the IMAT exam, and be well-prepared to tackle any questions that come your way.
This topic covers the fundamental and derived quantities, physical dimensions of quantities, and knowledge of the metric system and the CGS System of Units. You should also have a good understanding of the Technical (or practical) (ST) and International System (SI) units of measurement.
For this topic, Khan Academy offers comprehensive guides and practice exercises to help you practice and understand the concept of measures.
This topic covers various types of motion with particular regard to uniform and uniformly accelerating rectilinear motion, uniform circular motion, and harmonic motion. You should have a good understanding of the definitions and relationships between quantities.
The YouTube channel "Michel van Biezen" provides clear and concise explanations of the fundamental concepts of kinematics.
This topic covers vectors and vector operations, forces, moments of forces about a point, moment of a force couple, vector composition of forces, definition of mass and weight, acceleration due to gravity, density and specific gravity, the law of universal gravitation, 1st, 2nd and 3rd laws of motion, work, kinetic energy, potential energy, principle of conservation of energy, impulse, and momentum, and principle of conservation of momentum.
For this topic, the website "physicsclassroom.com" offers comprehensive guides and practice exercises to help you practice and understand the concepts of dynamics.
This topic covers pressure and its unit of measure, Archimedes' Principle, Pascal's Principle, and Stevino's law.
The website "physics.info" offers a comprehensive guide on fluid mechanics, along with interactive simulations and quizzes to help you practice and understand the concepts.
This topic covers thermometry and calorimetry, thermal capacity and specific heat capacity, modes of heat propagation, changes of state and latent heats, and the ideal Gas Laws, as well as the first and second laws of thermodynamics.
For this topic, the YouTube channel "Khan Academy Physics" provides clear and concise explanations of the fundamental concepts of thermodynamics, along with practice exercises.
Electrostatic and electrodynamics
This topic covers Coulomb's law, electric field and potential, dielectric constant, capacitors, capacitors in series and in parallel, direct current, Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Principles, electrical resistance and resistivity, electrical resistances in series and in parallel, work, power, Joule effect, generators, electromagnetic induction, and alternating currents.
For this topic, the website "physics.info" offers a comprehensive guide on electrostatic and electrodynamics, along with interactive simulations and quizzes to help you practice and understand the concepts.
IMAT Mathematics Topic List and Recommended Resources
Algebra and numerical sets
Knowledge of numbers and operations, including natural numbers, integers, rational and real numbers is crucial for the IMAT Math section.
The YouTube channel "Professor Dave Explains" has a comprehensive playlist on Algebra, and "Khan Academy" offers great resources for numerical sets.
Having a strong understanding of functions and their graphical representations is important, including composite and inverse functions.
The YouTube channel "Eddie Woo" provides excellent resources for functions, and "Mathispower4u" has a playlist specifically for composite functions. "Khan Academy" is also a great resource for inverse functions.
Geometry is a large part of the IMAT Math section, covering polygons, circles, measurements, isometries, and the Cartesian reference system, among others.
The YouTube channel "Eddie Woo" has a great playlist for geometry, and "Mathispower4u" covers a wide range of geometry topics. "Khan Academy" also offers comprehensive resources for geometry.
Probability and statistics
Understanding frequency distributions and probability is essential for the IMAT Math section.
The YouTube channel "Khan Academy" offers great resources for probability and statistics, as well as the website "Statistics How To."
It is important to practice as many questions as possible for the IMAT Math section, and to understand how to apply the concepts in problem-solving. "Khan Academy" offers plenty of practice exercises, as well as the "Organic Chemistry Tutor" channel. "Mathispower4u" also offers practice problems for each topic, and "Professor Leonard" has a playlist specifically for IMAT Math. Remember to practice solving problems by hand as the exam is computer-free.
When Should I Start Studying for The IMAT?
Studying for the IMAT exam can be a daunting task, but with the right approach and resources, it is definitely achievable. As a tutor, I have seen many students succeed by using free online materials and resources, such as YouTube videos, practice questions, and online textbooks. These resources can help you develop a solid understanding of the material, as well as practice your skills and knowledge.
I usually recommend my students to start studying for the IMAT exam early, preferably before the summer. This will give you plenty of time to work through the syllabus and understand the core concepts. During this period, it is important to use a variety of resources, including textbooks, videos, and practice questions, to ensure you have a well-rounded understanding of the material.
Once you have a good grasp of the material, it's time to start practicing as many questions as possible. Practice questions are an essential part of preparing for the IMAT exam, as they help you apply your knowledge and identify your weak spots. You can find practice questions in online resources, past papers, and practice books. It's important to work through as many questions as possible and keep track of your progress.
At EnterMedSchool, we offer 1 on 1 coaching with our students as well as a comprehensive online course that is designed to help you succeed in the IMAT exam. Our course is structured around the official IMAT syllabus, and covers all the core concepts and topics that are likely to appear on the exam. We provide videos, practice questions, and mock exams, as well as personalized feedback and coaching. Our course is designed to help you develop a deep understanding of the material, as well as practice your skills and knowledge.
However, I would like to emphasize that you can absolutely study for the IMAT exam for free, without any paid class or content. There are plenty of free resources available online, including YouTube videos, practice questions, and online textbooks. These resources can help you develop a solid understanding of the material and practice your skills.